I have had to work on updating someone else's code for a few days now. The code was a headache to read because
- It was not formatted to conform to my coding standard ... in fact it did not conform to any coding standards.
- There was no version control ... oh wait, yes there was version control. It was version control by commenting out unwanted code. So I had to scroll through screenfuls to commented out code. I must take a moment to thank the programmers of Anjuta IDE, which helped me a lot a with their excellent syntax highlighting. Here is how you delete code.
- Did I say there was no version control. There was a version control system. It looked almost like this
- There was no comments.
- There were spelling mistakes in variable names
- PHP code and HTML were mixed
- there was more .. i have forgotten it.