Thanks to Sachac for pointing out this list of questions to review your year.
What did I learn this year?
Let me see. On the technical side I learnt quite a lot.
- a bit of Perl
- quite a lot of MySQL
- new things in PHP, especially related to web services and graphs
- lots of new stuff related to high availability and failover
- lots of new stuff in troubleshooting
On the non technical side, I did not learn much
- I finally read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- I started taking steps to manage my time well. I am following the Getting Things Done forums and mailing lists, picking up great tips from them but have yet to read THE BOOK. It was this year that I learnt about emacs-planner for managing tasks
- I read a few management type books, they are not that bad
The lessons of life that I learnt this year
- I am much better than I think I am
- Family support and good friends are the most important assets that someone can have
- Don't try to get stereotyped
- An idea does not have to be big, it has to change the world
- It is a good idea to write and publish about every new thing that I learn.
What did I accomplish this year?
Quite a lot, if I can say that myself
- Got selected to be a part of Yahoo! Bangalore
- Moved from Delhi to Bangalore and established a household here
- One of the interns I mentored got selected to become a regular employee
- Got published in webzines
- Kickstarted the PHPC Gazette, which is still in its infancy but I am sure something good will come out of it
- Wrote articles on my website that proved useful to a bunch of people
- Spoke on Y! webservice at Freedel
- Got a good year end appraisal
- Discovered Terry Pratchett
Which accomplishments am I proudest of?
- Getting selected to be a part of Yahoo! bangalore
- Kickstarting the PHPC Gazette
Knowing what I know now, what would I have done differently in the past year?
Let me see.
- Written more articles
- Written more code for my favourite free software
- Read more Terry Pratchett
What will be my greatest lasting memories of this year?
- Getting selected into Yahoo!. Absolutely something that I will always remember.
- Moving to Bangalore from Delhi
In what ways did I contribute?
Not in as many ways as I would have liked to, just in small ways
- Helped my previous colleague in taking over from where I left off
- Started the PHPC Gazette
- Submitted one patch for AMO. I should have done more
- Answered a bunch of questions on php-general, linux-delhi and some other mailing lists and IRC channels.
- Supported my brother and sister for this year
What were my biggest challenges or obstacles?
- Not enough time management
- I am not punctual
- I am not caring about my health, even though I am aware that it might give me trouble later in life
What obstacles did I overcome?
- Reduced the time I spend in the office from 16 hours to 9 hours, though this change took place only in December
- Established a household in a new city
How am I different now than I was at the start of the year?
- I am more confident than I was when the year started
- I am more willing to voice my disagreements, both in person and over email
- I have stopped saying RTFM to questions now
- I am fatter
- I know how to better manage my time now (but this is still a ongoing struggle )
What am I most grateful for?
- The support of my family
- My job
What else do I want to reflect on?
I should have contributed more to Free Software projects than I do
now, and by contributing I mean more in terms of code. I need to
figure out a way to fit exercise in my schedule and lose weight.